Thursday, November 13, 2008

Oh.... Canada.

I grew up in southern New Jersey. The bay was at the end of my street . A few blocks away there was a dock where I would fish, crab and try to give Alka Seltzer to seagulls. A ten minute drive and you were at the beach. South Jersey is a tourist destination for those in Philadelphia and the rest of the inland Mid-Atlantic region. Tourists were called "shoebies". This derived from the former practice of tourists bringing their lunches with them in shoe boxes at the turn of the century.


These are some modern shoebies on the Ocean City Boardwalk-If you look closely you can see someone actually eating out of a Puma box. I actually used to work at a Baskin Robbins that used to be underneath that theater on the left.

Unlike most of my friends, we took summer vacations. Oftentimes, those vacations took us to Ontario, Canada. On more that one occasion, we went to the same lake. I think it was Stoney Lake, it had something to do with rocks I know. There, we would fish and boat and boat and fish. My memory is vague regarding the Canadians I met on those trips, but I have had my research team find some interesting Canadian data for you.


First of all, though we think of Canadians as our happy-go-lucky friends to the north, they are competitive.




This guy's ready to rock!



This is the Canadian Table Soccer Team:



They look ready to me.



Unfortunately, they didn't win. Even with the headband.



Don't take it so hard Canadians! It's only Foosball.

Second, Canadians are diverse.




These geese try to spend most of their time in the U.S. It's cold in Canada!


I'm not sure how effictive this guy's going to be though...

I thought affirmative action was bad in this country.

Third, Canadians are conscientious...

They may not be too bright either if this sign is any indication.



And they take all of their citizens into account...



Too bad dogs can't read. I bet this would make them feel really special...




Finally, I guess some people don't like Canadians...





Hosers

It might be because of this guy....



He's got to be proud of the moobs though.




*******************************************************************************

Hi. Jim here. Thanks for checking out the blog. This would be nothing without you.

News: I've decided to change the poll. You'll notice there's a new question. Go ahead and rock the vote. I plan on figuring out what to do with it in time. IN. TIME. If you want to vote for some of your dead neighbors to make sure your answer wins, DO IT.

Finally... Schroll down to the bottom to see our new addition!

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Have to tell you, I enjoyed the NJ part of this post the best. :)
And I spent a few hours sitting in the manager's office of that Baskin Robbins while Zac worked there.

Jim said...

I'll have to do one on South Jersey by itself sometime.

Cassie Jensen said...

Jim- I have to ask, "Where have you been?!" Too funny. I was laughing out loud at your posts! Keep it up- I am a new follower and look forward to more insights on the man that is you- you have kept yourself pretty quiet the last few years. Nice to know you a little better.

Jeremy said...

Canada....I think we should invaide and take over! Besides they have funny talkin people there and over all the streets are pretty clean! But leave Montreal out of it, they suck!@^*%-#

Cassie Jensen said...

This is Larry - Did you notice onthe sharp edged sign that in small print it notified you that the bridge was out? Nice of them to point out the more eminent danger of the sharp sign in bold.