Monday, May 4, 2009

The Art of the Deal...

Alright, so can I brag a little? I know that I have set the bar pretty high here, but this might just raise it again. Possible? Yes!


So, Saturday came around as usual. On Saturday mornings, we clean. I handle a mean vacuum, but that's a topic for another day. We finished early. Before Maggie's nap. Made great time. Friday night Annie asked me for some glue to make a Mother's Day project for Amberlyn. (I presume that most of my readers are close acquaintances and therefore know my family, so for those of you from Waterloo, Ontario and around the world you will just have to bear with the personal references). Unfortunately, we didn't have any except for some rubber cement and you know what a mess that is.

Skip ahead to Office Depot. Now I spent some time as an associate at one of Office Depot's main competitors, OfficeMax. So, you could say they knew I was coming.


I saw it as soon as we got there. It was displayed on an endcap in the electronics. A clearance item, mail-in rebate, the "Last One". Let the negotiations begin. I was ready.


Then I waited. And waited. The kids were restless. I was chomping at the bit to get my claws into the unsuspecting Depot sales team.

I called on my negotiating idols.

Corleone




Trump


Spacey


I got the Department Manager. The Paper Department Manager...


She was frazzled already. They were busy. Did I mention I was ready?


I'll spare you the carnage, buy suffice it to say that I got the winning end of that deal.


The result: I walked out of there with a good laptop for... Ready? $200.00.*


My idols would be proud...


********************************************************************************

Hey thanks for stopping by. I know you don't have much time in your day and I want you to know that I appreciate you. If it wasn't for you, who would read this? Anyway, check back soon for some new topics. I added a list of upcoming posts so that I can keep track of the ones I blatantly ignore. You can't always follow the voice of the people. But don't despair, your voice will be heard.


On that topic, make sure you check out the new poll on the top right. Every vote counts. Double votes count twice. Feel free to double up.

*So, they couldn't find the battery so they dropped the price in half. I did get her to drop the price an additional 10% before that happened. Also, the after market battery was only $68. So it's still a great deal, Okay?

4 comments:

happychow said...

Indeed James, you truly are a master negotiator. Impressive. Well done.

Lempskies said...

You really learned these skills from watching movies? Not law school, eh? Any great experiences you can share from the car lots? We need to go buy a new car and could use some of your negotiation acumen.

Lempskies said...

ps- the polls are closed, but we WOULD have voted for game show hosts. There's a Canadian comedy skit from years ago making fun of Alec Trebeck (sp?) called High Q. If your "Research team" could find that, we'd love a link. Good fun... good fun.

Jim said...

I learned most of my skills simply channeling the energy and wisdom of from the likes of Corleone and Trump. Don't be mistaken in thinking that great negotiating techniques can come from movies alone.

I will have my team look for a link for High Q.