Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Carnies on 'Shrooms




So thanks to a tie in the poll voting this week, we have today's topic.

While both Acrobatic Gymnastics and Hallucinogens are deserving of their own treatment, because of the tie, I have chosen to select a derivative topic incorporating elements of both.

Life as a circus worker during the depression and prohibition was bad. Apparently, the workers and performers during that time would take, drink and do just about anything for a high. But as long as they worked, they performed their gay antics for thousands of roaring spectators. But, were they all just a little off?


Take these clowns for instance:






They don't look particularly cheery do they? The guy on the top left is really putting his all into it though.





One of these acrobats is not like the others!



Who could blame them? Living in stock cars on meager wages, working long hours, placating the hoards? I'm not sure what hallucinogens might have been most popular. Unfortunately, my research team came up short on that one. But out of my own conjecture, I propose Peyote as popular among those from the southwest. LSD was discovered in the late 1930's but not popular among the masses until the 1960s so that's probably out.



Apparently, based on my research for this post, hallucinogens play a larger part in the viewing of circus events than they did in the past. What better way to enjoy high flying acts, but while flying high!





Does that guy in the middle look a little off?

P.S. Just as an aside for some of you out there: I probably know more about Ninjas than I can and still be safe in society. Look for an upcoming post on this. Don't worry, you'll still be safe after reading it. But, not that safe.

P.P.S. I have put a new poll up so again if you could please... ROCK THE VOTE!

P.P.S.S. I put a followers gadget up so you can see your very own picture on my blog and know when you need to rush over and see my new posts.

P.P.P.S.S Don't forget to scroll to the bottom to check out the Bunny Rabbit Picture of the Day! So Cute!

P.P.P.S.S.S I'm not a particularly huge fan of bunny rabbits, but they're just so squooshy.

P.P.P.P.S.S.S. Don't you have anything better to do than to keep reading?

P.P.P.P.S.S.S.S. Do I?

5 comments:

Kristen said...

are you sure that's the proper way to do all those ppssps??
And I need to show Michaela your bunny of the day pics - she has a current obsession with bunnies and would looove it.

And, seriously, how do you find time to do research on circus workers on drugs?? Don't you have work to do, or children to take care of? :)
well, we're grateful to you for all your hard work.

Unknown said...

You crack me up! Can't wait to hear about hot dogs!

Anonymous said...

Totally looking forward to the Ninja post. Do you have mad skills?
Also I'm concerned about the welfare of your family... in your researching on this topic you didn't try any hallucinogens did you? You seemed pretty well versed on the subject.

Abby said...

When I went to look for the bunny picture I saw the astronomy in stead. Unfortunately, I thought it said "anatomy" at first glance. Just imagine the confusion I had as I stared at the picture trying to figure out what in the world it was!! I am sure that the carnies had to have used marijuana. They could have grown it in pots on their trains. Is it a hallucinogen?

Jim said...

Carnies did use marijuana and Hasish, but neither are hallucinogens thus they were not mentioned.